I wanted to try and get this recipe up by National Pizza Day but I unfortunately have been lagging a bit on my blog posts. I am soon going to do a post talking a bit on all the things I do in my life to pay the bills while still managing to find time for my blog. So watch out for that. Anyways, this pizza is everything. I figured everyday should be National Pizza Day because pizza is the most amazing and delicious food in the world. Who ever wants to differ, I respect you but I don’t trust you.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups flour, plus more for rolling out the dough (I used all purpose flour but I heard that bread flour gives you a crispier crust)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 envelop instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups water, 110 degrees F (slightly warmer then room temp)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 more
- Using a stand mixer combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt
- While the mixer is running add the water and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil
- Beat until the dough forms into a ball
- If the dough is too sticky add a tablespoon of flour at a time, if it is too dry add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time
- Scrape the dough out and knead into a ball on a floured surface
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the dough, and cover the bowl with plastic wrap
- Place in a warm area and let the dough double in size, takes about a hour
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and divide into 2 equal pieces
- Cover each with a clean kitchen towel and let them rest for another 10 minutes
- Roll out dough and place on a 14 inch pizza pan
Now get the toppings ready!
Ingredients for BLT Pizza:
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped in half
- 1 package smoked apple bacon (I love the brand from Trader Joes)
- 8 ounces burrata cheese
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cook bacon on stove top or oven according to package directions; set aside
- Drizzle pizza dough with olive oil and scatter buratta cheese across (use more then 8 ounces if you like it extra cheesy)
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes until crust looks slightly crisp
- Remove from oven and immediately top with the bacon, cherry tomatoes, and romaine lettuce
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes
- Drizzle with olive oil
This pizza tastes best served immediately so plan accordingly!
Sommelier Wine Pairing Tip!
A little secret for all you meat lovers, bacon pairs the absolute best with BUBBLES. That salty bacon and carbonation from the wine are honestly a perfect duo. I personally paired this pizza with a sparkling Chenin Blanc “2014 Oh Snap” for only $16 from Club W. Chenin Blanc is known for its signature mineral notes, creamy texture, followed by the perfect balance of sweet and tart aftertaste on the palate. So go ahead, pop open those bubbles on a random week night end enjoy this BLT HEAVEN!
Photo Credit: Angie Cox