I love any recipe that involves prosciutto, so making these was a no brainer for me. Don’t let this simple appetizer fool you because these prosciutto wrapped asparagus are full of insane flavor. If you’re hosting a Holiday get together whip a few of these up to curve everyones hunger until the main entree is served. I promise they will be a hit, especially paired with some good wine.
- 12-20 Asparagus
- Cream cheese
- Prosciutto (enough to wrap 2-3 asparagus at a time)
- 1 lemon for zest
- First, blanch your asparagus in boiling water to bring out its color
- Cut off the dry ends of each spear and boil for another 1-2 minutes
- Transfer asparagus to a bowl of ice water to shock them so they stop cooking
- Spread each slice of prosciutto with a thin layer of cream cheese
- Wrap 3-4 asparagus spears in the prosciutto slices leaving the ends exposed
- Arrange spears on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until asparagus is tender
- Zest with lemon and serve!
The wine featured above is a 2014 Indée Fixe, Red Blend courtesy of the awesome @winc wines. This wine is from the Côtes Du Rhône where wines here were once known to seduce royalty during the Roman Empire. Have I gotten your attention yet?
This powerful red blend is made up of 75% Grenache where its fruit forward flavors comes into play. Think blackberry, black currants, and cassis. This wine also has 25% Syrah which adds to its earthiness, black pepper, and clove. Not only will this warm, flavorful wine pair well with prosciutto, it goes exceptionally well with lamb chops, sausage or some homemade gnocchi. I hope you give this one a try!