I have to say this is one of my favorite galettes I have made so far and let me tell you, I have experimented with quite a few. It’s a gorgeous blend of sweet blueberries, a touch of lemon, and wrapped in a thyme infused cornmeal crust. Also, if you don’t want to make home made dough, store bought will taste just as good (Trader Joes Pie Dough is my favorite). Top this bad boy with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and you’ll have a crowd pleaser for sure.
Ingredients for Cornmeal Crust (Courtesy of my Mamaw)
- 1 cup plus 1 tbs of all purpose flour plus a bit more for rolling
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of cubed unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 2-3 tbs of cold water
Ingredients for Blueberry Filling
- 1 pint of blueberries, if they are not in season go for the frozen!
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 egg plus some water for an egg wash
- turbinado sugar for brushing on crust
- In a food processor combine 1 cup of the flour, the cornmeal, and the salt, then pulse.
- Then add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like sand
- Add the thyme and 2 tbs of water
- Pulse until combined and add more water a little at a time if needed (mixture should be wet enough to stay together when pinched)
- Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in fridge for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium size bowl combine the blueberries, 1 tbs of flour, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest, set aside
- On a floured counter roll out dough into 12 inches round (doesn’t need to be perfect)
- Place blueberry filling in the center of the dough leaving a 3-4 inch border from the edges
- Fold in dough around the edge of the fruit. Lightly brush egg wash on edges and sprinkle with turbinado sugar
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown
- Serve slightly warm with some ice cream and fresh thyme, YUM!